Knotty Earthworms

I'm so glad I managed to photograph this worm today! A couple of years ago I found lots of worms in knots but recently they've all untied themselves before I could take a snap.
This one pretty much refused to unwrap itself. Apparently the worm ties itself into a knot to go into a dormant state - generally because of unfavourable conditions so probably at the moment it's because the ground is dry. The worm goes into aestivation until conditions improve - or until I dig it up!
 

Comments

  1. Hi Belinda! I am making a YouTube video about why worms tie themselves in knots, like you I recently found one whilst digging in my own garden. I really love the pictures you have captured, especially the top one (it's better than what I managed to take on my phone). Would it be okay to use your picture in the thumbnail for my video? I've not made any videos on my channel yet... but if you are curious it will be going here: https://www.youtube.com/educatortor - I plan to make videos on anything that fascinates me... and well worms tying themselves in knots is my first idea. Thanks in advance :) Tortor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tortor. Thankyou for visiting and I’m pleased that you like the photos. Please use the photo, a link-back would be appreciated, but not essential.
      I look forward to seeing your videos.
      Cheers!
      Belinda

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'm very pleased to receive corrections or confirmations of my identification of the creatures we've spotted on the allotment.